Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The publisher-agent saga

I didn't want to leave the original post up forever, but I did want people to understand what I was thinking. Anyone who missed the post can email me and I'll send it to you. No problem.

Really, I just wanted to say that, as much as I appreciate the vote of confidence that my work should go to an agent, I would never ask any of you agented people to get me in the door. I mean, if you offered, sure! Duh, who wouldn't say yes?

But despite the fact that this is a virtual little world one step removed from "reality" and the only one of you I've met in person is Stuart, I feel like this is my support network and I'm just honoured to have people who read my rants and ramblings. And I appreciate all the encouragement and the amusement I get from bantering with you guys.

It just isn't...me to impose. I might get up the nerve to ask people to read my book and put a blurb on it, but asking someone to introduce me to their agent seems huge. Just something I couldn't ask.

You guys have been so supportive. It means a lot to me.

Damn. Guess this means I may have to deal with a photo of me sooner than I thought. There really is a down side to everything!

Now go down and read "Ruttan on Rickards", which got a bit buried under all of this!

6 comments:

JamesO said...

I know exactly what you mean, Sandra. I went to Stuart's book lauch, met Agent Phil and then went to a swish restaurant (which then poisoned me) with Jane Johnson and some others from Harper Collins (and a couple of other reprobates I can't remember). A little voice in the back of my head was screaming at me -'pitch your novel' as I chatted with Jane about climbing, Morocco and other unliterary things, but I couldn't do it. It was Stuart's day and I was glad just to have been introduced to his publisher. Hopefully she'll think the better of me when my novel finally does appear in front of her.

Alternatively, I could just be showing predictable British reserve, and I might have missed a golden opportunity. Who knows?

On the other hand, Stuart did bully Agent Phil into reading some of my stuff, which was extremely useful.

Sandra Ruttan said...

You know James, I think somewhere the karmic gods are smiling on you for having that much class.

I just could never be a name-dropper, you know? Walk up to Agent X and say, "I know your client Y and I have a book for you." I think it's hard to know what to do in those situations, but I just can't push, you know? If I'm going to get an agent or a publisher, it'll not likely be from me badgering them to death.

Unless they're the subject of a plot for a book...

JamesO said...

You need to talk to John about badgering someone to death...

Sandra Ruttan said...

We're talking about contracts here, not his books!

Can you imagine being beaten to death with a copy of Winter's End? Or would it be the shock of opening up to the back jacket and seeing the photo?

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could tell an agent I met socially about a novel I was writing. It would be like meeting a doctor socially and telling him all your symptoms.

Kate

John Rickards said...

Or the shock that comes from the lack of badgers in the photo on the back.

Which means I must be hiding them elsewhere.

Mmm... wriggly...