Saturday, January 28, 2006

Lost Weekend

It took a lost weekend in a hotel in amsterdam
And double pneumonia in a single room
And the sickest joke was the price of the medicine
Are you laughing at me now may I please laugh along with you
This morning I woke up from a deep unquiet sleep...
*

I'm not sure why I woke up thinking about that song this morning. Maybe because its one of the few records I still have and, without a record player, no way to listen to it. Damn technology. Some day that'll be me in the rocking chair cursing the stack of cd's I've got and no cd player.

But it is kind of a Lost Weekend for me. Weekends are usually Sandra-Kev time. He's not at work, so trying to write is torture. He's either killing every lawman in sight on Grand Theft Auto or in my office every ten minutes to talk about something. Couldn't he ignore me like other guys?**

This weekend, Kev's gone. And next weekend too. And he may be gone part of the week in between (for work). The weekends are filled with firefighter training. Four more days, another set of physical and written exams to move one notch up the ladder in the qualifications department.

And then in February, he has another set of training days at the end of the month.

I'm really proud of him for taking on the volunteer stuff. Not so proud when the tones go off at 2:27am and he gets called to an emergency at the police station and told to proceed with caution. Hmmm. Wonder what's happening over there?

But I have to admit that the stuff I hear is an unending source of inspiration for stories. Based a whole ms off of an idea his little hobby generated.

I suppose its a case of always wanting what you can't have. He'll be away all day, studying all night, same tomorrow, Monday a major presentation at work, Monday night finishing a website, possibly off to Ontario, back just in time for another weekend of training and studying.

Which effectively leaves me alone with the two cats, one kitten, two dogs and one puppy and no alcohol. Or steak.

And that's why I wasn't around last night to do my usual post - had to actually spend some time with him before he disappears.

So I'm planning long stretches of staring off into space, waking up sleeping kitties and maybe working on a short story. What have you guys got planned?

*Cole/Clark/Donegan - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

**I know I'm really lucky, actually. But I like to complain.

19 comments:

Stuart MacBride said...

The same, only I did have steak. And then I had pizza. And tonight I'm making curry.

A little Sherpa goes a long, long way, you know.

Erik Ivan James said...

I only see my wife on weekends anyway. Her career keeps us separated during the week. And, this weekend, I'll only see her this afternoon. I'm in the office this morning (12 miles away from home) then to a business meeting with R.J. Baker tomorrow (200 miles away) and my wife will be gone by the time I return. You're right, you're lucky. Now I've had my bitch too (or is it bastard for men?).

Sandra Ruttan said...

Stuart! You've aged, and your beard turned black. Does that mean you're rotting?

Erik, you're allowed to have your bastard. Just don't tell your wife.

Hi Kim! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

I'd cry for you, but I'm single so life is a series of...

Writing, writing, and more writing. Maybe work on the webpage, cruise a bookstore or two, then PBRtown.

WannabeMe said...

Sandra - were we seperated at birth? I was SO gonna gripe about hubs this morning, but ended up blogging about something else instead.

And, YES, we are BOTH lucky to have hubs that give us attention. =)

Sandra Ruttan said...

RJ Doesn't that go ...sexual exploits?

Okay, maybe not.

Dana, I think we were! This is just too many times we've been on the exact same wavelength. Psych, we think alike. God have mercy on everyone else...

Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

Sandra. Oh, if I could make it so.

Sandra Ruttan said...

It would make an interesting topic of discussion sometime. The married are inundated with images of the unattached having wild flings and much excitement, and the unattached are really drowning their sorrows in bars and sleeping in stale sheets filled with pizza crumbs.

But there are advantages. No snoring.

Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

I've been both places, and you get used to the snoring and participate every now and then.

Once my self-confidence returns, I shall be right, er, back in the saddle, again - to quote one of my favorite songs.

Until then, it's bars, sorrows, stale sheets, and...

Sandra Ruttan said...

There's an image. You cozying up to Matraca Berg.

JamesO said...

This weekend I shall be mostly trying to focus my mind on writing stories. I will also be mostly failing.

When left to fend for myself, I like to make sure there's a good supply of bangers and mash in the house. Steak's wasted without a glass of wine, and I don't like to drink alone (it's so disorienting waking up on the couch).

I could go for curried Sherpa, though. Nepali cooking is great.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Get messy again soon?

You bring a woman home and let her eat pizza in your bed?

Oh, I groan. I can see where this is going...

Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

I'd cozy up to Matraca - "If I Fall You're Going Down With Me"

My frame of mind exactly, a little 69ish, but it I like it.

And boy kim, if they've come home with me, they would never make it to the bed...

Sandra Ruttan said...

I swear, this is fodder for a book.

Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

No, more likely bend her, ah, er, there's a couch, chair, chaise lounge, kitchen table...your only limited only by your acrobatic prowess and your imagination.

By then dirty sheet won't matter all that much.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Could you two get a room? Some of us have to sit alone and eat popcorn tonight.

Sandra Ruttan said...

My, you're up late. Still hoping some sweet young thing will stagger by on her way wherever from the bar?

Sandra Ruttan said...

Well, I didn't say she had to be drunk.

But it does make things easier sometimes.

Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

Ha, ha, ha...have a laugh at my expense. I see how yawl are! How about if I'm a little drunk and I go to bed on the lounger, the kitchen table, the stairs, the hood of the car...