Tuesday, October 10, 2006

There is no Justice

Just when I think I’ve heard of every sick and disgusting, despicable thing a person can do, some bitch comes along to prove me wrong.

There is no punishment on the books that seems appropriate.

I’d like to get some burly 6’5” wrestler to take her out and use her as a weapon. Or just beat her head against a wall.

Then I want her pinned down, without anesthetic, and rendered sterile in a most heinous way.

People like that can have kids and others who’d actually be decent parents can’t. Some days, it seems there really is no justice on this earth.

On a complete side note, and one that doesn’t make me want to beat on people…

I got an email from someone who’d read Suspicious Circumstances and you know how he described it?

Tasty.

Now, I wonder if I should use that as a blurb? I mean, it really is open to interpretation. Tasty. Since it was from a guy, it draws obvious connotations in my pure mind.

I actually did get another blurb - the top one. It’s always nice when people don’t think your book sucks.

I have to say, after writing my first blurb for someone, they’re harder than you’d think. I find writing reviews hard too, but blurbs? You don’t want to say something so generic it’s meaningless, yet you succinctly want to say what it is about the book you like.

And we all know short isn’t my strong suit.

Still, I’m glad to offer a blurb for a book I’ve enjoyed. I absolutely hate asking people for blurbs and reviews, so I’m completely sympathetic when people come to me.

I’m not complaining, but…

It didn’t turn out to be the Thanksgiving we had planned. FIL came down to work on Kevin’s car and then, once Kevin was done there was a call. An enormous fire they had to call two departments in for.

I watched The Wire while I ate dinner. It’s the way it goes sometimes.

Damn Sela for tagging me! I will not do anything so cruel…

The last five books I read and what I’m reading now.

Geez!

The Flood by Ian Rankin. The first book he had published. Not Rebus, not crime fiction. It made me cry. I don’t want to say more, except it’s a book I will read again. When I recover.

Pale Immortal by Anne Frasier. Another book that made me cry. Anne can creep me out and break my heart simultaneously. She is an incredibly talented author.

The Last Assassin by Barry Eisler. A fast-paced thriller with a lot of action and you know, I do believe this book is right up Trace’s alley. If you like steamy sex, tough guys and tough girls who know how to operate outside the law, you’ll love Eisler’s stuff.

Does Suspicious Circumstances by Sandra Ruttan count? Since I had edits due in Sept. this took up a huge chunk of my reading time.

Lost Dog by Bill Cameron. You won’t have a chance to read this until April, but mark your calendar now and make sure you get your pre-order in. An absolutely engaging, original read. I can honestly say Bill Cameron is an author who kept me up all night long – he’s got a completely offbeat, unique way of approaching the story and that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Currently I’m reading Every Fear by Rick Mofina. Another thriller. Boy, I seem to be reading a lot of thrillers lately!

I think Marc Lecard may have had the funniest B’con post ever.

And, in light of today’s topic of interest, this joke from JT Ellison seems fitting.

BUBBA & THE LAWYER

A slick, big-city lawyer from the Northeast runs a stop sign in a small, Backwoods Southern town and gets pulled over by a sheriff's deputy.

The Lawyer thinks that he is smarter than Bubba, the deputy, because he is certain that he can outsmart the Deputy since he has a much higher IQ and a better education. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Deputy's' expense...........

The deputy says, "License and registration, please."

The lawyer replies, "What for?"

Deputy: "You didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign."

Lawyer: "I slowed down, and no one was coming."

Deputy: "You still didn't come to a complete stop. License and registration, please."

Lawyer: "What's the difference?"

Deputy: "The difference is, you have to come to a complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!"

Lawyer: "If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration and you give me a ticket. If not, you let me go without a ticket."

Deputy: "OK, exit your vehicle, sir."

At this point, the deputy takes out His nightstick and starts beating the sh_ _ out of the lawyer.

Then, Bubba says: "DO YOU WANT ME TO STOP OR JUST SLOW DOWN?"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had heard about the Pennsylvania woman yesterday. A friend of mine has written books about anger and he says that when you get angry you lose IQ points. I'm guessing she didn't have too many to start out with. norby

David Terrenoire said...

James Carville said that Pennsylvania was "Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in between."

As a native Pennsylvanian, I have to say amen.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Norby, that actually makes sense!

David.. Do you really want to admit to that?

Anonymous said...

David.. Do you really want to admit to that?

She's obviously never been to Pennsylvania David. norby

Sandra Ruttan said...

Nope. I haven't.

But I have been to Alabama.

Anonymous said...

Well, sadly, there are areas of the Midwest that are reminiscent. norby

Sela Carsen said...

Mwahahahahaaaa! Thanks for the list, Sandra! Hey, I picked up a Crimespree magazine the other day at an indy bookstore and had to tell the owner, "I e-know her!" when I saw one of your articles.

I know. I'm a dork. *gg*

Sandra Ruttan said...

Hey Sela - that's cool! If you'd picked up the July issue, you likely wouldn't have admitted that, though!

Anonymous said...

I read the joke and then the linked article. A belly laugh followed by a feeling of nausea. Not a great feeling.