Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Everything Is Somewhere Else

Pimp My Words is an article I wrote about marketing pressures on authors.

Glad I took out stock in Sandra Ruttan voodoo dolls a while ago. At least I’m making money from something…

Speaking of money…

(Don’t click on the link yet.) Unasked for advice about authors and money.

Why am I linking to this?

Well, some of you may work through the dross to find the gold. Simply put, much of this isn’t a news flash for anyone –writer or otherwise. The idea that a woman will grow up to marry rich has been around for centuries, and we continue to foster the throwback by handing girls copies of Cinderella and Snow White – some Prince Charming is always going to show up to rescue us. Equality means that now, some men have that dream too. And sometimes it's a Prince and sometimes it's a Princess, but I digress.

It’s a ludicrous stereotype to suggest all these wannabe writers sit around for hours drinking, or just want to sit around drinking and feeling sophisticated.

And I can say plenty more. But if you’re bad with money, or if you want to console yourself with why you shouldn’t quit your day job, you might want to read it.

Now, I do try to make it clear if there’ll be a problem behind following a link. If you disagree with the post or any part of it, don’t say so in the comments. Opinion that doesn’t follow in the form of falling down and declaring the $164,000 income writer a genius for telling me why I shouldn’t try earning that from my own writing is reason to be assaulted. And the blame there does NOT go to the blogger, but since that was my experience on the thread my first time commenting there will be my last. I truly would be better off working at Wal-Mart than spending time on some things. Whether I earn $16,000 or $160,000 I'm never going to tell you what to do, or presume you've idealized the writing life.

(Because we all know that in my time at home I'm getting a manicure and a daily massage and never do any real work.)

And since I want to get back to the bottle with my name on it… Which would be a water bottle to accompany me while I try to move my fat ass through my daily exercise routine...

Sandra Seamans gives her take on what every good ezine should do and Valashain’s review of Ender’s Game is pure entertainment, all on its own. Forget the book, read the review.

Finally, a little something, because Bunny doesn’t think I’ve ever mentioned TALKING TO AMERICANS before.

I think Bunny suppressed the experience. Here’s a short one.



If you want the long version, including the woody, go here.

And to prove we don't just make fun of Americans...

7 comments:

angie said...

Trust a politician like Mike Huckabee to fall for the "national igloo" B.S.

Sandra Ruttan said...

There's one born every minute.

Randy Johnson said...

Sorry your comment on Scalzi's blog was dismissed so easily. They get a little overboard there sometime. But Mr. Scalzi knew what you were saying.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Well, you guys know my feelings about the "authorial circle jerk" and that's what stuck out in my mind. The anonymous internet attack is almost to be expected anymore.

As the song says, I've got better things to do.

angie said...

"There's one born every minute."

Yes, and some of them are voting for him to be president!

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to your frustration. I'm not even published yet, but I'm wracking my brain thinking of promotional activities. But I still always believe that the best marketing plan is finshing another novel and that's what will be my priority when I submit the current one to the editor.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Amra, I totally understand - and I agree with you. The most important thing is the next book.