Wednesday, July 19, 2006

My head hurts

Just don't ask.

But... too much wine yesterday.

In Canada, if you say 'thank you' it means 'stop, that's good'. I think in the UK it means, 'keep pouring'.

Note to self: drinking wine in the hot, hot sun is not really a good idea. Of course, it might have been part of my host's evil scheme to be the first to see me inebriated...

I had a great flight over guys, made it in one piece. Ended up beside two young women on their way to Turkey for five weeks. I'm SO jealous! I'd love to go to Turkey. Anyway, that was a riot, because one of them had lived in Edinburgh for a year and when they asked where I was going and what I was doing and I mentioned the Crime festival, the one who'd lived in Edinburgh said she'd read some Ian Rankin books when she lived here.

When I said he'd be at the festival I was attending, she was pretty excited.

The other one had a thing about WW2, so I told her to read The Hanging Garden, The Forest of Souls, amongst other books. By the time we landed, she had a long list.

Anyway, I'll save some updates for when I'm back, but I am here, I've worked up my alcohol threshold a bit already, and I'll be seeing a charming Scot with a thick Dundee accent before I head to Harrogate. Anyone in Edinburgh who wants to interpret for us? Give me a call.

Oh, and because I do have it now: 078766 48598 - if you need to get me in an emergency, text me on that number. Or phone, but it better not be to ask if there are any cute single guys around, or I'm hanging up. You think I'd share?

See you online Friday with a more thorough update.

21 comments:

Mindy Tarquini said...

but it better not be to ask if there are any cute single guys around, or I'm hanging up

What an infinitely tacky thing to bother somebody about.

tsk. tsk.

JamesO said...

Having lived close to Dundee for many years (and survived), I would have happily translated for you, Sandra. But alas, I no longer live in Edinburgh. Just smile and nod from time to time, he'll never realise you haven't got a clue what he's talking about;}#

Anonymous said...

What about the Amish?

DesLily said...

good to hear you arrived safely and enjoyed your flight talking about books! You can't beat that!

angie said...

Glad to hear you made it okay! Have lots of fun, but come back soon. It's kinda boring around here with you gone... And I'm not sure what you meant about the single guys. I'm confused.
:o)

James Goodman said...

Glad to hear you made it in one piece.

Brett Battles said...

Mindy and Angie...you got some splaining to do!

Brett Battles said...

Mindy and Angie...you got some splaining to do!

anne frasier said...

nice hearing from you, sandra. we miss you! sorry about the head. wine and champagne can be really bad about that. try vodka.

i have to start drinking here soon so i can build up a tolerance for bouchercon. maybe start with a few drops of vodka in my cereal and keep working up until it completely replaces the milk.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Glad you made it out there in, relatively, one piece. Good luck. With all those Scotsmen running around in kilts, I think you're going to need it.

Mindy Tarquini said...

What splaining you talking about, Brett?

I'm doubly confused.

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Glad you made it. Have a great time and watch out for those spirits, or is it the hair of the dog that bit ya'...LOL!

Bill Cameron said...

Bring me back some beer, please.

Anne, try a beer float or two. I'm not kidding. Cold, refreshing, sweet and tasty, and two or three can really knock your socks off! Personally, I like a nice stout with chocolate ice cream, but a light summer ale also works with vanilla. Avoid really hoppy brews. Another one to try is Pyramid Apricot Ale if you can get it.

angie said...

Bill's a bad influence. I think that's a good thing.

Erik Ivan James said...

Samdra,
Remember what I told you, stay s.....

anne frasier said...

did bill say beer FLOAT????

really???

hoppy brews = big red nose for me

Bill Cameron said...

Aye, beer float. Two scoops of a really good chocolate ice cream dropped into a glass of stout! Yum!

I prefer malty beers as well. No IPAs for me. I like loaf of bread in a glass! With ice cream!

Anonymous said...

I don't want to just hear about the cute guys, I want pics.

Jan Burke said...

Have a wonderful time, Sandra -- safe travels!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Hope you are having fun! I'm looking forward to reading the update on your trip.

And on a side note... the Canadian issue of Spinetingler Magazine looks great.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Beer float? is that real? Two of my very favorite things in the universe in one delicious package?

Tell me all about it Sandra!