Sunday, December 24, 2006

A Good Day Shopping?

Okay, first, I found Rilke on Black and I was happy about that, because it isn’t easy to track books from Serpent’s Tail here all the time. That alone qualifies my day as decent.

But I was also at a chain bookstore and had a great conversation with a staff person there. She saw me looking at Ken Bruen books and came over to tell me how wonderful they are and how much she loves Ken Bruen. It was a Bruen lovefest, right there in Indigo.

I did admit to knowing Ken, and I told her I’d be interviewing him for the next Spinetingler and gave her the website address for Spinetingler. Then we ended up talking about Ian Rankin, and she was saying how everyone she’s talked to agrees The Naming of the Dead is his best book.

Then she asked if I’d met Val McDermid, and Reginald Hill, and Minette Walters. Two out of three, yes. This woman was obviously an avid reader, as she had things to say about each author, and she had a number of positive things to say about Minette’s latest, The Devil’s Feather. I’ve heard good things elsewhere, and now it’s being bumped up the tbr list.

As though I needed any additions for the new year.

But I must say, it was very cool to meet someone in a bookstore really passionate about books. So from Janice at Indigo Southcenter to Ken, Ian, Val, Reginald and Minette, you’ve got a fan there talking up your books. I can’t imagine a better Christmas present for an author. Other than a zillion figure book deal, I suppose.

Of course, our good day shopping had to be karmicly balanced by Kevin getting sick. This makes night #2 of the holidays, neither one we’ve slept through. I sure as hell hope Santa keeps it quiet when he gets here tonight.

Happy holidays everyone.

13 comments:

anne frasier said...

merry christmas, sandra and kevin!

JamesO said...

I would have thought Santa wouldn't dare come anywhere near you place, with Rebus, Stuart, Russel and all the others on the prowl.

Have a good Christmas, Sandra and Kevin.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Thanks Anne - same to you!

James, it really is Stuart that Santa needs to worry about. Stewy has this climbing fetish and will jump from the floor right up onto your shoulder. Of course, claws out. Reminds me of that photo from last Christmas with Grendel on Stuart. Guess Grendel gave our Stuart some ideas.

Have a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Sandra & Kevin!!

It's good that you have at least one cat willing to protect your home. My sister's cats run and hide. Sissies. norby

John McFetridge said...

Merry Christmas to you and Kevin, Sandra.

And to Janice at Southcentre Indigo, it is good to hear about an avid reader working in a bookstore. But tell me, did you tell her YOU have a book coming out in a couple of weeks?

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and Kev a wonderful Christmas!! (I hope you sleep through the night and feel better!!)

*think santa will bring you more books to read?*

Anonymous said...

Have a great holiday!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Norby, it's always good to keep one attack cat on the property! And Stuart is a loving cat, with claws.

John, I did mention I had a book coming out, but didn't get into details. I did give her the website though. I just find it so much more fun to gush about other people's books.

Deslily, I really hope so! I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well, and that Santa is good to you!

Chaser, same to you! I hope you have a great holiday season.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Samdra!

s.w. vaughn said...

Merry Christmas, Sandra! :-) And Evilkev too! *G*

Sandra Ruttan said...

Merry Christmas Erik and SW!

Bill, the Wildcat said...

Merry Christmas, Sandra. Sorry I've been scarce of late. This past month has just been crazy. Hope your holidays have not been quite so frenzied.

Best wishes to all.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Bill, delighted to see you. Hope all is well. I keep dropping by your site to see if you've surfaced. Hope things level off soon.