Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Hot Topics Light My Fire

Curt Purcell offers up A Positive Account of Genre Fiction, which is presently generating some thoughtful comments. It's one of the most in-depth articles I've seen on the genre vs literature debate, and to be honest, I'm still processing it. For us in mystery, it's one of those topics that can get old fast, because we've been around the block with it so many times, but this is well worth the read.

Now, I don't wade into the genre vs literature debate in the first big interview to accompany the release of WHAT BURNS WITHIN, but I say plenty of other things that might get me into hot water. In fact, this interview was so extensive that a second part to it will run soon at Noir Originals.

And since there's more than enough to chew on elsewhere, I'll leave you to it.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

That's a great interview, Sandra!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Thanks Barbara. Full credit to Damien, who did a stellar job, and kept me on the line for a few hours and then did follow-up by e-mail. Very thorough.

Lyman Feero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyman Feero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What is modern genre theory?

Lyman Feero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyman Feero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Ruttan said...

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner.

End of the day, most of the genre vs lit things I see (even if that it incorrect labeling) don't go into the terrain Curt covers. And so I stand behind it as being something truly worth reading and mulling over. That doesn't mean we'll all agree with everything, but what it does mean is that I believe it's thought-provoking.

And sometimes, even if you disagree, such an in-depth look allows you to clarify your own position.

But as said, I'm really hit and miss on internet these days. I'll try to catch up later next week...

Lyman Feero said...

Sandra I wish to apologize for my previous remarks on this post. Though it i snow excuse, I was in a lot of pain that day and in a really foul mood.

Genre theory is a hot button with me. The article had plenty of good things to think about and I got way too wrapped up in the aspects of it that were incorrect or misguided.

My comments were intended to reflect my disdain for the article not the fact that you think it has merit. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Please chalk it up to two very sore shoulders and way too little sleep. Sorry again.

(I've removed my comments. I blogged about the article so people can read my opinion on my blogsite instead.)

Sandra Ruttan said...

Lyman, there's no need to apologize. Different topics press our buttons, and that's fine. Countering with a blog post that explains your thoughts is probably the best way to really get into the meat of it, and I think that's great. Agree or disagree, Curt's articles prompted interesting discussion!