Monday, April 14, 2008

The Best Author Moments...

There's little that, for me, tops the experience of having someone else get what you're trying to do with your work. That's why the best reward is always the reader who tells you how much they like your books. Some will chase after awards and bestseller lists, and those things are nice, but I didn't start writing to win awards. I started writing to tell stories I hoped readers would embrace.

And that's why I've found myself somewhat speechless since reading the latest review of WHAT BURNS WITHIN. To quote:

"Sandra Ruttan has gone to war under a banner of honesty, bringing an integrity to the genre that results in a bleakly depicted but ultimately compassionate, fascinating and meticulously researched police procedural that dares to say that we – as a community, city, society or culture – are entitled to believe we can become better people." – Declan Burke

The full review really nails the book down.

(I'm still in the midst of moving hell, and I'm only at the computer sporadically, but am trying to catch up...)

6 comments:

Pepper Smith said...

Oh, wow. Frame that one and hang it over your computer, where you can see it on those days when you think you can't write worth a darn.

Randy Johnson said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the book so that I can jump into it. I read and enjoyed Suspicious Circumstances, turning friends onto it after. Hopefully, they will jump at tbhe new books as they come out.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Yeah, Pepper, that's a self-esteem booster for sure! My publisher is thrilled.

Randy... we all dream of readers like you. I mean, that's exactly how I am as a reader, and I really appreciate the endorsement and support. This one is different from SC, but I hope you'll still like it. I think you'll find more shades of Rankin influence in the Nolan, Hart & Tain series.

angie said...

This book (and the soon-to-be-released Frailty) are going to do really well, Sandra. You've done a great job with them both & I fully expect that this will be the first of many fab reviews!

Picks by Pat said...

After reading that review, you can be very proud. I wouldn't blame you if you crowed a bit. Even a bad one at this point would simply roll off like water off a duck.

I look forward to reading What Burns Within. And as I think of the many Canadian authors I have stumbled across recently, I have one question. What do they feed you up there in Canada? And do they export it?

Sandra Ruttan said...

Oh, it's all the years of wearing parkas, building igloos and eating blubber on Canada Day. Gets into the blood. ;)