Monday, January 08, 2007

Woo-Frickin-Hoo!

Today’s regularly scheduled post has been interrupted by the phenomenal news that the one, the only M. G. Tarquini of the Footsore Fame placed as Runner-Up with her unpublished novel Hindsight in the 21st Annual (Philadelphia) City Paper Writing Competition.

I feel confident there will be some form of celebratory dance at Angie’s. Meanwhile, we’re all bowing at Mindy’s feet at her blog – stop by and congratulate her! I have read pieces of Hindsight and it’s phenomenal. Mindy of the Ginsu Tongue kicks ass!

I had more serious things in mind for today. The weekend contained news of two deaths connected to our family, and my youngest nephew Dashiell was in the hospital.



He has to have surgery later this month, although a full recovery is expected.

However, there is a saying. “Without the sorrows of life, the joys would not exist.” We grieve. We celebrate. Life does not stop, for anything, good or bad. Some of the other bad news we got this weekend involved my niece’s teacher from last year – her partner was taken off life support. That has affected my schedule a bit, because she was one of the teachers I would have been working with at Wordapalooza, an event I’m doing in a few weeks. I’m not complaining in the slightest, but since I know the principal and librarian at the school I’ve been asked to incorporate writing short stories into my sessions when I’m there, to help cover what will be missed in this teacher’s absence. I need to get my lesson plan (yikes! A lesson plan! It’s been ages!) done for Thursday.

I have decided to title my session How To Catch A Killer. Now, to come up with the rest of it…

I can’t concentrate at the moment, though. I am completely thrilled for Mindy. I remember her asking me if she should enter this contest, but I don’t remember her telling me if she did. Getting the news that she placed was a wonderful way to start the day.

Since I’m on positives today, I may as well stay in that vein. There is a new review of my book up at Crime Scene Scotland.

And, although rankings mean little, in the end, because there are so many variables to consider, no one can dispute that they like to see a good ranking. My husband dragged me out of bed to show me my day 1 Amazon ranking.



You’d think they’d discount the book or something.

Unbelievably, it still isn’t up on Amazon.ca or on Chapters. And the version on Amazon.co.uk is apparently the unauthorized version. People googling my name on Amazon have told me they couldn’t find the book, because Amazon.com has me listed as Sandra, Ruttan and Amazon.co.uk doesn’t have my name attached to the book at all.

More than anything, that’s what makes me feel like a real author. Amazon screw-ups. It’s a right of passage.*

But that’s more than enough naval-gazing for today. I’m going to go to the city a bit later, although I’m not sure if I’ll get to see my nephew. (Opening presents with Aunt Sandra.)



Please stop by and congratulate Mindy. The aspiring authors out there know how much work writers put in, and how hard it can be to get published. This is a huge stepping-stone for a worthy writer. May an agent and deal follow.

Oh, and there’s a new post up at In For Questioning today with some other award-winners and news about a writing contest… and there was a post last week I forgot to link to about the Ippy Awards.

* Ooops. Guess that should be rite of passage? Ach, whatever.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazon seems to change every day. Tomorrow you'll be listed under Rattan Chair or something. But congratulations anyway! And I hope your nephew comes through well.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I'm laughing Bill, because more than anything this is what makes it feel real. I have seen the Amazon mix-ups for so many friends before, this just feels like a right of passage. It's authorless on Amazon France as well, but the Germans have it right. Bless 'em.

I'm sure Dashiell will make a full recovery. He's a fiesty kid.

Mindy Tarquini said...

Oh Sandra! Thanks so much for the shout out, but I'm worried about your nephew. Call or email if you have any questions. I'm sure he'll be fine, but its still scary.

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Thoughts and prayers to Dashiell for a full and speedy recovery!

angie said...

Poor baby Dashiell! Hope the surgery goes well & he's back to normal ASAP.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Mindy, Angie, Trace, thanks all of you. I feel confident Dashiell will be okay, but it's always nice to have people send their positive energy and prayers towards someone who needs them.

Anonymous said...

prayers for your little nephew.
stopped by to wish you congrats via your friend judy.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Better Safe Than Sorry, thanks so much. He's a tough little guy.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sandra-Congratulations on the publication, but just as much on all the well-wishers greeting the book. Can't wait to read it.

anne frasier said...

aw, what a cutie. positive thoughts here. amazon was 20,000 last time i looked, and shaking my ass for mindy!

Mindy Tarquini said...

You gotta get your name fixed at Amazon!

And Anne! You're shaking your ass! HAHA! Those cards you read for me were more right on than I ever would have guessed!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Patti, thanks. I've been really touched by all the blog posts out there and support!

Anne, I want to see you shake your ass!

Mindy, I can't do anything about amazon. Some things are dependent on my publisher. HHUA.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your family, Sandra. Hope it all works out well for the little guy.

JamesO said...

Maybe Dashiell would be better off with a little less iron in his diet?

Seriously, though, I hope all goes well, and I'm sorry to hear of your woes. Let's hope the silver lining's a big one.

And is that a Mr Potato Head Storm Trooper? I'm so jealous;}#

Anonymous said...

Congrats on everyone's news. Ah the Amazon journey. Currently it says my book is coming out in 2025. sigh.