Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Other Places To Be

Today is a very special day. It’s the birthday of a good friend of mine. He knows who he is. I would have sent him dancing girls, except that costs a pretty penny to ship….er, um, overseas. So all he gets are these lousy blog birthday wishes…

Now, one of my wondrous friends, the very famous MG Tarquini, named for an Italian alcoholic beverage, put up a wonderful post about my book. And you need to click on the comments and scroll down to #* from e. ann bardawill, that starts, “WOOT SANDRA!!” and put down your beverages. . Ladies and Gentlemen, courtesy of Liz I have a new working title for the sequel…

Dear God, I hope I never slip up and write that by mistake! Damn her for putting that in my head! And I was so excited to see the Bunions back…

I’ve blogged today over at Killer Year and you should check it out. Except for Vincent, who doesn’t do realism.*

But I also want to comment on a fantastic post Kevin Wignall has up over at Contemporary Nomad. Each of you who read those BSP posts I did back in the summer, about what turns readers off and what marketing approaches work, will find Kevin’s post on how far you’re willing to go to promote yourself very interesting. A must read for any debut author, and for anyone who’s thinking of being published some day, because these are the very real questions you might have to ask yourself.

There is also an interesting discussion starting in the comments there. This is one occasion I’m going to beg you to go elsewhere and share your thoughts, at Killer Year and Contemporary Nomad.

That doesn’t mean you can’t comment here. Just that I don’t want to steal Kevin’s conversation, but I think it’s an important one for writers to consider.

I'll be tidying up my blog links and such over the next few days. I thought it was time for a new look. What do you guys think?

And finally, a tremendous victory for same sex couples in Canada.

*Remember, that’s my definition of realism, Vincent, so that’s extreme pessimism to you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've gotten fancy! I like the new look.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Thanks Bill! I like this template.

anne frasier said...

yay canada!

DesLily said...

this is a good look...
Happy New Year Sandra!.. I already know it will be very shortly when your book comes out!!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Anne, when you get a note saying there's a comment and you read it apart from the post, sometimes it's really confusing. I was thinking, "Drugs good today Anne?" until I remembered my post. Duh.

Deslily, I hope you had a lovely holiday season. Very nice to see you, and I'm glad you like the new look. I'm very happy with it. For once, blogger offered a template I actually liked. Only a few modifications...

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Wow! I must say I thought I had stepped into the wrong room...LOL...went out and looked at the door one more time!

It is concise and orderly, and very easy to read!

Sandra Ruttan said...

I like the order Bonnie. Truly, blogger just never offered templates I liked. Then I'd start tinkering and it would never end.

Sigh.

I wish I had a cool avatar like Anne.

Anonymous said...

I tried to update my blogger template, but couldn't find one I liked and couldn't get things like my statcounter code to work when I started trying to modify one. I gave up in the end, but I think my Blog is started to look a bit lame compared to all these new flashy ones, so I think I'll need to try again.

s.w. vaughn said...

Love the new look, Sandra!

And hooray for same-sex couples in Canada! Now, move that attitude down this way and let same-sex American couples be happy too. :-)

Sandra Ruttan said...

Ha SW! You came just a moment too soon!

Vincent, switching the template is a pain. But I do like this new look myself.