Sunday, May 18, 2008

Maybe We Should Call This Self Smattering?

So I got tagged by seanachi,* my cover's been burned, and there are a few more book-related things to mention.

The cover:

Nick Mamatas gives the WHAT BURNS WITHIN cover the thumbs down.



The book, shelved in Bush International Airport, courtesy of Marsha.


Well, what can I say? Considering some of the atrocious covers I've seen - I mean, truly atrocious - I was happy they kept it simple. Nick will probably hate the cover for THE FRAILTY OF FLESH but here's the good news! His opinion probably can't get much worse, right?

I remember huge cover debates over other books, and the chain stores play a big part in determining what happens with the cover. One of my friends ended up with a cover B&N didn't like, and that does affect orders. Publishers will pull a book and redo the cover if they have the time if B&N gives it the thumbs down, so it feels like you go through hurdle after hurdle in the cover game.

Truly, the only thing I'm wondering is if Nick finds my blog entertaining in a how wacked can one chick be? kind of way.

The book:

I'm behind in mentioning that there is another review of WBW out there, at Lesa's Book Critiques. Regulars - and even odd individuals who stop by frequently - will begin to understand why I've groaned over the Vancouver/Greater Vancouver Area confusion.

If you want commentary, go to Lesa's. If you want a laugh, go to Nick's.

The tag:

1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

A Meme about Various Things


What were you doing ten years ago?

Just finishing up my in school practicum for my education career.

What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?

Pick up a U-haul, pick up some furniture that was purchased earlier this week, help a friend move the furniture, buy groceries, family dinner...

What are some snacks you enjoy?

Peanut Butter Cups. Peanut Butter Ice Cream. Ice Cream in general. Chips and french onion dip. Popcorn.

What would you do if you were a billionaire?

Buy a house, sponsor abandoned animals, create a writer retreat, support grants for writers with tons of talent who just haven't quite broken through financially with big book deals yet, sponsor the Make A Wish Foundation and at least one organization that helps abused women...

And get a pool boy.

What are five places where you have lived?

Gravenhurst, Ontario. Belleville, Ontario. New Westminster, British Columbia. Calgary, Alberta. Ballincollig, Ireland.

What are five jobs you have had?

Cashier. Baker. Cook. Secretary. Educational Program Facilitator.

What were the last five books you read?

The whole divorce/readjustment thing has messed with my reading, so I'm still working on Tony Black's Paying For It, Linda L. Richards' Death Was The Other Woman (And truly, it isn't because the books aren't holding me - it's just that have a hard time reading when I'm unsettled. I've been reading more this week, if that means anything.) I have Russel D. McLean's The Good Son on deck, and I know I just read The Cold Spot by Tom Piccirilli, and Savage Night by Allan Guthrie...

What are five web sites you visit daily (in no particular order)?

Crimespot
Mystery Bookspot/Fantasy Bookspot
GMail Log-In
The Rap Sheet
Cnews

Tag 5 People

Barfly, Brian, Chris, Patrick, Patti
... with my apologies. :)

The cnfusion

Why does the new website layout I'm working on look perfect in one browser and all screwed up in Internet Exploder? I think it's IE, and maybe I should start the petition to convert all to Safari.

The warning

I won't have steady internet for the next few days. Please be patient with me. If you e-mail and I don't answer, there's still a chance I think you're insane, beneath me, or irritating as hell, but in reality it's probably just because I don't have internet access yet.

* congrats on the adorable puppy you're adopting

9 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Steve Allan, Megan Powell, Josephine, Gerald, Clair.

Hope you're taking good care of yourself with all this moving going on. Patti

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Done. But I didn't tag anyone.

Chris said...

Also done. And for a change, I did.

Stephen Parrish said...

Don't forget: anniversary tribute to Miss Snark on Pat Wood's Blog starting May 20th.

Mindy Tarquini said...

Surely Nick knows it's what's BETWEEN the covers that matters. ;)

Picks by Pat said...

Nick's post has 19 comments, and I don't think even one of them talks about the writing...just the cover.

The book review, at least, was positive.

NM said...

Nick's post has 19 comments, and I don't think even one of them talks about the writing...just the cover.

The post was about the cover, of course. No surprise the comments would be as well.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Patti, I'm trying. :)

Patrick, thanks, don't blame you.

Chris, thanks as well.

Stephen... I'll have to try to swing by!

Mindy, I'm sure he does. However, the post and discussion proves the point about how important cover design is.

Honestly, I mentally told myself the only real estate you could count on in a store was the width of the spine, so I just concerned myself with a spine blurb and that was the main focus. Go figure that I've had all these amazing displays. However, I think my book stands out nicely. Nick would say in a bad way, but at least I get noticed. :)

Hey Pat. The post doesn't bother me at all, or the comments. Call it like you see it. I'm cool with that.

And it was a great review.

NM, you said it.

Barbara said...

I thought I'd already posted here, but I must have rudely interrupted myself...

I'm done, too. And thanks for the invite, but I didn't tag either. Bad memer, bad. (Or lazy...)

I really like your cover. The movement of the flame and contrast seem really great to me, and eye-catching from a distance. Much better than the bland foggy stock photo covers you see so often.

Karen at Eurocrime has another copycat cover - same photo, barely changed. Amazing how often that happens.