Friday, May 02, 2008

Fridays: The Books You Have To Read, part 2/Survivor

Last week, Patti Abbott kicked off her wonderful idea of talking up the books that might have been forgotten over the years, and I was happy to chime in about James Reasoner's DUST DEVILS.

We were supposed to tag someone to continue this, and hopefully make it a weekly thing. Brian didn't tag anyone, as he plans to chime in again this week. His reading habits are so eclectic and to the edges that he discovers a lot of books that should connect with a wider audience. I tagged John Scalzi, in the hopes that this endeavor would expand beyond crime fiction and start to reach other genres as well... But I knew it was a long shot that it would get picked up.

I also thought I'd throw my 2 cents in again this week. I'm always vocal with my recommendations and heartily endorse the books I like, so most of the ones I thought of mentioning will come as no surprise to regular readers, and my love of The 50/50 Killer is no secret.

I know Steve. He owes me dinner, actually. He's great fun at a quiz and at a convention in general, one of the most low-key guys you'll hang out with. I don't even know if he does panels, because I've never seen him on one. His fourth book is due out this month, and he's somehow slipped under the radar... Probably in part because no US publisher has been smart enough to give this man a deal south of the border yet. When I leave Canada, one of the things I'll really miss is the easy access to Orion's books, and I'll be ordering in Steve's work (and Ian Rankin's) from Canada.

The 50/50 Killer is one of the most chilling books I've read in a long time. I believe it was Jon Jordan who said the book got under his skin and made him uncomfortable, and that's why it has such an impact. It asks that horrid question - would you die for the one you love? - and takes it to a whole new level. It also looks at the things that tear us apart, destroy us, the relationships we give power in our lives. It's a dark, relentless thriller, the kind where you have to turn the pages to find out what happens next, although you're not 100% sure you want to know.

So what are you waiting for? Go get your copy now, if you haven't already!

Survivor

Last night's episode was pretty intense. First, you think James will be removed for medical reasons. Then you think he's going to be okay. Then he's removed... and back later for Tribal Council with an IV drip?!

Meanwhile, the focus shifts within the remaining tribe members, and Amanda surfaces as the biggest threat in the minds of the remaining women. (Now, I wonder if any of them have really thought about the fact that she made it to the final three last time and didn't win, because the jury didn't think she was strategic, just that she'd coasted? Just because she's great, it doesn't mean the jury will give her the money. If the jury this time was like the jury last time, they'd give it to Parvati, because she's been manipulating all along.)

But back to Amanda's dilemma. I like Amanda, and I didn't want to see her go. The tension over the hidden immunity idol... damn. There's been a lot of blind-siding at tribal councils this season, from what I've seen, but nothing tops the move Amanda made last night.

That could very well win her the game, if she can stay in it through the next two tribal councils. Brilliantly played.

And, if you're looking for some Friday entertainment, this is great.

2 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

This is one I already have and agree is worth looking up for anyone who likes a good read. American publishers need a good kick in the pants for not putting out his books. I order them from Great Britain and consider them worth the extra cost. Not everyone can float that extra coin I know. And I probably shouldn't. But I'm one of those impatient people who like books By favorites as soon as they're available. I'm not sure what can be done to get these American publishers on board.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Randy, I'm not sure either, but I sure wish there was a way to make it happen, because I love his work.

Hope springs eternal. :)