Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Yes, We're Weird

Come on. How many people are there who write letters to coroners and say they’d like to watch an autopsy? I mean, think about what you’re asking! “Yes, I’d like to see you cut some stranger’s body up. Oh, and it would be great if they’d been stabbed. Actually, I’d really like to understand how you determine the type of blade used when someone’s stabbed to death…”

Oh yeah. Like you aren’t automatically going into the “freak” file.

And just imagine calling up a police officer: “Yes, I was wondering if my four-year-old son was beaten to death in a park, if police would have grounds to search my house even if I wasn’t with him at the time?” My recommendation is a disposable phone that can’t be traced if you’re going to ask that one.

I’m telling you, the research for this particular novel has been nothing short of a nightmare. No wonder people like writing from the criminal point of view or about insubordinate cops who do whatever the hell they want – there are no rules for them to follow.

This is reason #257 that authors drink.

10 comments:

Brian Lindenmuth said...

That's great. Made me laugh.

"Uh, yes, I'd like to know what the best way to dispose of a body would be. No, I dont want to give my name."

Sorry for being in a shitty mood yesterday.

Sandra Ruttan said...

No need to apologize Brian. I was trying to contact someone today to ask if I could use their name in the second book, and I wonder if they're going to think I'm completely off my rocker. Probably...

Bronwen said...

I have to agree I have been trying to find out procedures as well. I was directd to an area where they carefully took all my details ROFL. They helped me eventually

Sandra Ruttan said...

Bronwyn, I can just imagine it! I have to admit, some of the things we wonder about (and ask about) are bizarre.

Kait Nolan said...

I heard one story about a writer who wanted to know how big a hole a stick of dynamite would blow in a concrete retaining wall. She was about to conduct her experiment when the fire department showed up...

JamesO said...

This is why I like writing fantasy.

Actually my current WIP has thrown up a whole heap of questions that need to be answered and which I'm currently skirting around somewhat nervously. Sooner or later I'm going to have to make that call/send that email or the whole house of cards is going to come crashing down on a technicality.

Yup, I definitely need a drink.

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Congrats on the new book deal Sandra! I'm sorry I'm so late but I haven't been around much and time is whizzing by me. You rock! Woohoo! I love Dorchester books.

John McFetridge said...

Sandra, everybody breaks the rules - even Canadians. That's what makes it interesting.

But you've really hit on something with police procedurals. There's a bit of a power struggle going on right now between cops and lawyers in Canada (certainly the RCMP and federal Crown attorneys). Our system is slightly different than the American one, but it's the same kind of thing as that Law and Order opening, "Two groups, equally important..." you just know that's a recipe for disaster - equal?

Anonymous said...

Next time you ring the cops with a question, promise you'll record it and send me a copy....
ta,
chel.

Anonymous said...

The strange thing is - the first thing I thought of today when I got my CPAP was - is it possible to commit murder using one of these - fortunately I didn't wonder out loud. Betty