Saturday, August 11, 2007

In Flux

Things are a bit chaotic at the moment. I have, regrettably, cancelled Bouchercon. After canceling Murder in the Grove for health and personal reasons, I had really hoped to make it to B’con (and I absolutely love Alaska). But too much has come up lately, and there’s no way I can juggle my schedule and make the trip. However, I have confirmed that both Evil Kev and I will be attending NoirCon in Philadelphia in April. And I’m already looking forward to the panel Evil Kev will be moderating, which is filled with an impressive list of people I really respect, including at least one who’s published some of my work. We’re also planning to tack on some travel, including our first visit to NYC. I’ve never been to that part of the US. I think my only regret is it won’t be fall, so we can’t rent a car and drive north for the fall colors. I would love to see Baltimore and Boston, but I don’t think I’ll be able to spare the time then.

Following the same path, I’m taking another blog holiday for a little while. Anything on here will be sporadic, at best, for at least a month, and that includes forums and lists as well. I know people don’t think I have them, but I’m in one of my more reclusive modes at the moment, and I have a staggering pile of work to do in the next two months. That’s where my focus needs to be. Don’t take it personally if you email and don’t hear back from me for a few days – that’s pretty much par for the course.

Meanwhile, Chris Holm has fantastic news, and it looks like I have more ammunition for the planned music debate Peter and I will be having later this year.

I won’t even need to re-read Ian’s books to prepare myself for this one, which means perhaps I can keep my series re-read to stick to my study of Rebus’s spirituality. The things I do for my own entertainment…

I must say, I’m glad some good things are happening to great people. Three friends have signed with agents lately, and I’m optimistic that it’s just a matter of time before there are book deals for them to celebrate.

8 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Stay well. I'll miss you.

Chris said...

Thanks, Sandra, for the well-wishes! Sorry to hear things are so chaotic; here's hoping some of that chaos is of the good variety.

And I have to say, NYC is one of the few cities I've ever been to that truly doesn't disappoint. I hope you have a fantastic time!

Brian Lindenmuth said...

You'll just have to see Baltimore next year. Hint, Hint.

You know, not cause anything big is happening or anything.

We'll take a Wire tour :)

Sandra Ruttan said...

Thanks Patti. I'll be lurking occasionally, anyway.

Chris, it is of the good variety. That's all I can say for now.

Brian, I would come to Baltimore just to hang out with YOU and take that Wire tour. The problem with what you're talking about is a scenario where you say 'hi' in passing to a lot of people and nothing of substance and don't have time to do anything. I want to see people, not blurs. The chances of us squeezing a tour in seem remote...

Anonymous said...

If your not here, what will i do when i'm supposed to be working? Work!
Chelbel. x

Erica Ridley said...

Hope everything settles down and the next couple months are super-productive! =)

Mike White said...

Look forward to seeing you in Philly!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Well Erica, at the very least, the next few months will be busy! I just hope what I get done is good.

Mike, it's going to be great meeting new friends at NoirCon. Looking forward to it!