Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Wondrous News, Take 2

The debut dagger nomination list has a nice Spinetingler connection: A manuscript based on a short story we ran in the Fall 2006 issue of Spinetingler made the list.

Now that the complete list of nominations is out we can resume the happy dance for James.

I had hoped to post about something else today... but it hasn't gone public, so I'll wait. I would like to add my congratulations to Kevin Wignall and JA Konrath for their short story nominations.

And congrats to Stuart on his nomination as well.

Courtesy of Norby, a joke

On the first day, God created the dog and said: "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years."

The dog said: "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?"

So God agreed.

On the second day, God created the monkey and said: "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I 'll give you a twenty-year life span."

The monkey said: "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the dog did?"

And God agreed.

On the third day, God created the cow and said: "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty Years."

The cow said: "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"

And God agreed again. On the fourth day, God created man and said: "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years."

But man said: "Only twenty years ? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"

"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."

So that is why for our first twenty years we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you.

13 comments:

angie said...

AAAAAAHHHH! That's so awesome! And how super cool that his Spinetingler short proved the seed for this great news!

JamesO said...

Thanks Sandra, but credit where credit's due. You published the short in Spinetingler when it had been rejected elsewhere, and if you hadn't told me about the debut dagger I'd never have known to enter. And when I get a publishing deal you'll hear me screaming all the way from Wales!

Sandra Ruttan said...

It is cool, isn't it Angie? Really freakin' cool.

James, that's the thing. Why you can't get too bent out of shape about rejection sometimes. JK Rowling got rejection letters too. Bet those editors had their legs surgically removed so they could kick their own backsides. But it's a question of taste, audience, timing... so many things. FWIW I was supremely confident in this story - that's why we put it up for a Derringer. And the debut dagger shortlist is much better for you than that! May it pave the road to publication.

Anonymous said...

Wa-hoo James. I think there is nothing better than seeing other people who have worked hard get the recognition they deserve.

Sandra Ruttan said...

And when it comes to seeing people who've worked hard get recognition, my thoughts automatically turn to you Eileen. People like you and James are proof great things happen to very deserving people!

Daniel Hatadi said...

Spinetingler puts you on the road to success.
Spinetingler makes you live to excess.
Spinetingler can grow back your hair.
Spinetingler can change your shorts for you, when you just don't care.
Spinetingler is as clean as a bottle of vodka that's been distilled twice.
Spinetingler can change you into a nine year old Hindu boy and get rid of your wife.

Okay, I stole that last one, but still...

Is there nothing Spinetingler cannot do?

Congrats, James.

Sandra Ruttan said...

"Is there nothing Spinetingler cannot do?"

Spinetingler cannot tie your shoe.

angie said...

Resuming happy dance now!

Anonymous said...

I'm new, and don't know who's who around here, but is James's nomination the first for the F.O.E.? I'm thinking I need little stars to put on our T-shirts or something.
Big Big congrats, James.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I think it is the first FOE nomination! One of the stories in the same issue made the notable list for one of the other awards (can't remember name right now).

James is a really talented guy, I'm very happy for him and hope this means the book will get a deal SOON!

Christa M. Miller said...

Congrats again, James! And how awesome for Spinetingler, too. Great call, Sandra!

I just have one question:
"Spinetingler can change your shorts for you, when you just don't care."

But will it change my kid's?

Kevin Wignall said...

First, thanks Sandra. Now, obvs, I would like to win, but me and Joe appear to be up against two very strong stories, so it'll be tough. Hopefully, this might also make a few UK publishers sit up and ask who JA Konrath is because I know he still doesn't have a deal over here.

I'd like Stuart to win, but as I'm convinced he'll win the Theakstons this year, he's covered.

Of all the people you mentioned, I particularly hope James wins because talk about an amazing way to get your first deal.

Also hope Michael Marshall wins the Ian Fleming Dagger.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Ha Christa. I'm afraid we have to draw the line somewhere. Your kids are on their own!

Kevin, that's some prediction on Stuart! I think he stands a good chance of it as well. I'll be thrilled to see him win one or both.

I haven't even gone near picking favourites in the other categories, although I suspect a lot of people will be rooting for Michael Marshall. I really must read him.