Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Place To Begin

I don't pre-plot novels. Only once have I known part of the ending from before I began, and that was for WHAT BURNS WITHIN, but I can't talk about it, or I'd have to kill you.

No, for me, there is some idea that is the genesis. It could be the case, it could be to do with the characters, it could be a theme. Recent events have required a shift in focus for the moment, so I'm actually working on two manuscripts at the moment, something I've never done before, and it may be enough to drive me mad - we'll see.

I've had the idea for the follow-up to WBW since I wrote the first draft. I've always known some things that would happen in the sequel. I don't know how it will end, don't know who's guilty, don't know a lot of things... But finally, at long last, I know how the story begins.

Beginnings are a bitch.
Of course, I also think titles are a bitch.
And synopses.
And teasers? Yeah, those pretty much suck to write as well.

No, for me, my favourite part is when I'm just into the book, have the foundation down and build to the end. It's like having the salad out of the way, and now I can enjoy the main course.

Now, if I can just remember which book I'm writing when I'm working on it, I'll be set...

And I only mention this as a way of saying I may be a bit hit and miss around here for the next while. If you miss me there's always email.


The New Spinetingler features the photo from Kevin's car accident on the cover. We aren't hoping for a repeat for the next issue.

2 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

I've discovered I can't work on more than one project at a time. Writing both, at least. Editing and writing, yes.

Good luck!

And wouldn't you know, I just had a new heroine show up in my head yesterday, banging to be let out. I don't have time for this woman!

Sandra Ruttan said...

I know what you mean Sela - damn those intrusive characters!