Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Canada's Anti-Shania & The Wire pt 2

I had to post this link. Bottom line: I love Corb Lund. That might sound weird, because his music really is guy music in many respects, but when they say he's being hailed as a modern practitioner of hardcore country and folk — think of a storytelling Johnny Cash, a Western Canadian Gordon Lightfoot, a kinder, gentler (and Canadian) Steve Earle. He's sincere, yes, but with a wry sense of humour and an eye for detail as a songwriter what more can you say? Makes you take notice.

It's worth a read, because this is a guy with international success, who tours all over the world, and he doesn't get much radio play. How does he do it?

Damn. I wonder.

But there's one thing about Corb that is similar to The Wire, and that's how the stories resonate with authenticity and capture a cultural flavour. With Corb, it's rural life.

I really should have a link to Corb's site here on the blog, since he so graciously gave me permission to quote lyrics from Five Dollar Bill in my second book.

The man kicks some serious ass. If you like country and don't mind it a bit scruffy, you'll love his stuff.

And now back to today's regular post...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I have something else to seriously check out. He's on the list. The Wire. Corb Lund.

The other thing I wanted to say was I was one of the millions who downloaded the latest Spinetingler. I really can't tell you how impressed I am. What a wonderful document, and it's free. Well done, you and Evil Kev really should be proud of what you've achieved.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Thanks John. We've had some amazing writers put stuff in and that makes all the difference. It's easy to showcase pure talent.

You can listen to some of Corb's music for free on his site - just excerpts. http://www.corblund.com/

I'm quoting lyrics from Five Dollar Bill, on the album Five Dollar Bill. Favourite song is probably There Are No Roads Here, though, with Five Dollar Bill second. Roughest Neck Around...

Sandra Ruttan said...

Thanks Amra!

mai wen said...

Love the new digs! Great color contrasts!

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I love the new blog!!

anne frasier said...

wowzers!!!!!

rub eyes

blink, blink

nice!!!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Thanks Mai Wen & Trace!

Sorry for the shock Anne! Glad you like, though!